Saturday, January 12, 2008

Nami..



It has been 3 weeks since I last saw Nami. I was going through the photos in my mobile just now when I saw a photo of his and realized that I missed him. It was the night before Hari Raya Aidiladha that we lost him when my mother realised that it was such a quiet night (normally, Nami would make such a noise when we had already slept and he was not caged yet) and started looking for him. I was actually sleeping and woke up when my father accidentally shone the torchlight on me. I asked him what's going on and he told me that Nami was nowhere to be found. We called and searched for him all over the house that night including the place that logically, he would not be there, but to no avail. The next day, early in the morning of Aidiladha, my mom was actually searching for him in the neighbourhood. And after Aidiladha prayer, my father and I went around the neighbourhood thoroughly once again for Nami. But, still there was no sign of him. We then surrendered and gave all the matters to God and pray for his safety. What I most feared was that he was dead or being knocked by vehicles. A few times ( in the next couple of days) when we thought we caught a glimpse of him at the row of houseshop in our neighbourhood but then we realised that it was another stray cat which was very like our Nami. We met a guard which was feeding the stray cats and asked him if he happened to saw Nami and described what Nami looked like. He then admitted that he did saw one just like we described it a day before when he did his routine (which was feeding the cats besides patrolling the neighbourhood) and said that the new cat among the stray cats did not ate when he fed them ( he fed them fish and cooked rice). We thought, of course he wouldn't eat because he normally eats boiled fish and Whiskers. But at least, we knew that he was alive and that relieved us. We gave up and believed that the fate was written that way in such that Nami came to us from a stray cat and end up becoming a stray cat again. Maybe the time for us and Nami being together as a family was only for a period of time. We adopted Nami when his mother left him in front of our house about a year and a half ago. My father didn't approved at first and allowed us to keep him only for the school holidays( it was school holiday at that time). But then our love to him become stronger each day that we finally decided to keep him officially as a pet. He was just a very little kitten then and grew bigger and bigger and become the most handsome cat a cat can be. Everyone who had seen him would say that he is indeed a lot bigger than the usual cats. Even though he was not as tame as other pet cat normally are (we couldn't hug him or sleep with him or stroke his fur with him on the lap), he was actually smart and understands what we said(especially mom and dad). We used to called him by name and he actually called back( by meowing of course). And often, when my mom called me(Amni), he was the one who replied and vice versa (i mean, our names were almost the same, who wouldn't be confused?) haha..He also used to wait for my dad at the door when my dad gets home from work and asked for my father to stroke him. I think my father and mother missed him most. Well, that's a little bit tribute for Nami (which we named Nanami before we knew it was a male cat).. Oh, did I not say that Nami was a cat? Well, i guess you already knew it anyway.

0 comments: