Saturday, February 2, 2008

Chiropractic..


So, today was my appointment with the doctor for my back problem..
His name is Dr Han Yoon Jeong, a korean chiropractor..
Chiropractic is actually a system of diagnosis and treatment based on the concept that the nervous system coordinates all of the body's functions, and that disease results from a lack of normal nerve function. Chiropractic employs manipulation and adjustment of body structures, such as the spinal column, so that pressure on nerves coming from the spinal cord due to displacement (subluxation) of a vertebral body may be relieved..
As i said in my previous posting, both my parents used to meet him for their back problems.
So, this morning i went there with my mom and met him..
I was quite surprised as I filled in the form at the registration counter, the questions were the one that we, the medical student, use to ask the patients during the history taking..
and at this centre, the one who is doing the history taking is actually a paper!
Even the chief complaint is one of the questions..haha
I guess that is the way the doctors there saving their time and only concentrate in history of presenting illness (HOPI) during the consultation..
After telling Dr Han my HOPI, he asked me to lie face down on an examining bed for him to examine my vertebral alignment.
He told me that my pelvic bone was tilted and that my left leg was shorter than the right..
He corrected the misalignment( using his elbow)-which was painful at certain place where he pressed down..(my mom told me later that she even screamed a bit when it was her time)..
Then, he explained to me how the misalignment and posture (such as sitting for a long time and bending down) can compress my intervertebral discs and also the spinal cord ( which explained the pain).
Usually in more elderly people, they get this problem due to degenerative disease of the vertebrae, but it is very unlikely in me..
So, he asked me to get an X ray of my spine (to rule out any spinal curvature abnormalities) an meet him again next week..
There was no exact diagnosis for my problem yet..(not until he can confirm with the Xray)
However, he advised me to do the exercise(that my dad taught me) and avoid anything that can trigger the pain..
Later, he asked me to go for an electric therapy (also called as 'muscle sting') after that which was done by his assistant in a cubicle just outside his room ..
I was massaged with a massager before the assistant placed a few patches ( looks like ECG electrodes) on my lower back and hip..
Then she set the voltage of current (she started at a lower voltage and increased it 10 minutes later) and the current wave was set on and off ( which means, there was current wave for 4 seconds and stopped for the next 4 seconds)..
It was ticklish initially ( felt like when i was at the fish spa) and felt much better as time pass by..
So, that's the story about it..
I was supposed to meet Dr Han on the next Tuesday,
but suddenly remembered that I have examination briefing that day..
Fortunately the briefing will be in the evening..
Means that I still can go for the appointment in the morning..
Okay , GTG now..have to do the exercise.. :>

0 comments: